Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

why is water collecting in the fabric softener dispenser

Customer Question

why is water collecting in the fabric softener dispenser?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 3 years ago.

this is a normal issue with the Whirlpool duets, engineering say to remove the cup and empty it ,

But I will tell you why it does it .

When the fabric softener compartment is full of softener ,and water enters into flush it out , it siphons the fabric softener and water out , as the unit is vibrating ,if the siphon is broken it will leave water in the dispenser compartment.

And of course your fabrics softener should be diluted 50/50 with water any way ,

Especially if you use an Ultra fabric softener

But if the water bothers you the only way to get around this is to empty it out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But Ive already emptied it out and it refills with water. Ihavent used fabric softener more than twice and i diluted it quite a bit

it will fill with every time you use the washer .

The washer has NO IDEA if you have softener in the compartment or not

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But its filled to the "max" with water after every wash which means there is no space left in the tray for fabric softener

that is why you need to pull it out and empty it when you want to use it .

Like I said this is a common issue with Whirlpool front load washers ,and they have NO fix other then to empty it by hand.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why did it only start doing it about 3 months after i started using it?

It did from DAY ONE you might not have noticed it But THEY ALL do it (THEY ALL meaning all Whirlpool Duet front loaders.

If you don't use the fabric softener as you stated ,,just remove the dispenser tray ,that way the water will all drain into the washer .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so i took it apart looking for the syphon you originally talked about. there isnt one but rather an overflow hole about an inch from the base.i cleaned it out and although water still collects in the cup, its much less. thanks for your help

that tube is the siphon tube once the water /fabric softener get to a curtain hight is begins to siphon the liquid out .

No problem glad to assist you .And thank you in advance.

I will sent you the accept button again

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
And after you have cleaned the tube do you STILL have standing water in the dispenser after the wash ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a couple drops but overall empty now. thanks again for your help. glad i had someone to help figure it out