Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a GE Side by Side refrigerator (TFX25PP) that stopped

I have a GE Side by Side refrigerator (TFX25PP) that stopped cooling in the Freezer and Refrigerator sections.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi do you see any frost on the rear lower panel inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, there is frost on the rear lower panel inside the freezer. It start about 8 inches from the bottom on up.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok the problem is with the defrost system. You should remove the rear lower panel inside the freezer and while frost is still on the evaporator test the heater and defrost thermostat with a ohms meter. If one of these parts shows open then it's bad and should be replaced. If both parts show continuity then the defrost timer is bad and should be replaced. The defrost timer is located inside the control panel. You will need to access inside the control panel to replace the timer. My guess is the thermostat is bad because this is a common problem with this model. Mike