Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Small thin brown streaks on clothing. Looks like edges of clothing

Small thin brown streaks on clothing. Looks like edges of clothing (collar or cuff or bottom of shirt) get caught under the agitator and pick up brown streaks. Comes right out with water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you get me the model# ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not at home right now. Can I get it to you tomorrow?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes just post it when you get it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WLE6000 is the model number.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok the brown streaks are probably from transmission oil possibly, you need to pull the agitator off and remove this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its the drive bell, look under it and see if theres brownish oil comming from the shaft,this is most likely the source, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this worth getting repaired or is it time to get a new machine? Of course the transmission warranty is for 5 years and we are right at that. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the cost of repair or is the transmission going.

Otherwise I have been satisfied with the machine.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well are you sure its comming from the washer and not the dryer? when you take the clothes out of the washer is that when you see the brown steaks before you put then in the dryer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I usually find it when I take the clother out of the washer and shake before putting in the dryer. It will be the edge of a collar or cuff or hem. Sometimes it looks like the edge of a fold in the fabric. Does not appear to come from the dryeralthough sometimes I don't see it until after the clothes are dried. Should I be looking for something in the dryer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
its sounds more like all you need to do is pull the agitator and clean it really good, there is probably buildup under the agitator and on the bottom of it, these build up soap slime and I'll bet thats all it is, one of the other techs reminded me that you said it washes right out with water so it isn't oil most likely, try that it will probably work, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.