Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i have an igloo fr180 fridge (small 1.7 cubic ft) that I want

i have an igloo fr180 fridge (small 1.7 cubic ft) that I want to power thru an inverter. when the fridge compressor starts, it makes the inverter go offline. I purchased a supco spp6 cold start capacitor. How do I install this on the fridge? I don't have a wire diagram either.
give me a bit and I'll look at the kit I have in my van, I'll get back to you later,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when the alternator is running, the fridge can start without tripping the inverter. otherwise, the inverter goes offline. the fridge is a small bar fridge and the back is very simple. the instructions that's on the label of the spp6 says to simply wire the spp6 across the running capacitor of the fridge....but there is no running capacitor (that I can see) on this fridge. beside the compressor there is a small junction box where a couple of wires attach to the compressor terminals. there is a thermistat in another little box nearby. there are no labels or any wiring plans anywhere. thank you for your help.
ok , let me run out to me van and I'll be back in a few minutes, no every refrigerator has a run capacitor so if your doesn't don't worry about it, I'll be back shortly, thanks Bryan
ok on your compressor there are two wires running to it? usually red and white running into the box on the side?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are 2 wires, but I think that both were black. I will verify when I get home later tonight and let you know.
ok let me know and i will walk you through the install, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

sorry about the delay. I'm now having an internet problem. It seem ok for the moment.

I open the little black junction box beside the compressor. the white wire from the 120vac goes on a terminal that says PLC Starter according to the little diagram on the label on the fridge (I just noticed). the black wire of the 120vac coming in goes to the thermostat. the other side of the thermostat goes to another terminal that's on the compressor. the other wires inside the junction box are all black and they jump between different terminals on the compressor.

does this help?

well on the 3 in 0ne start kit yo bought does it have a white,red,and black wire plus two other black wires?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hi Bryan,

the suppco spp6 only has 2 black wires.

did you get just the capacitor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the spp6 says on it "relay and hard start capacitor".

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you probably would have been better off buying the suppco urco410 for this , this would give you the run and start capacitor in one. and the relay is in it, this capacitor you have goes in between the live side of the two black wire going to the compressor,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so i unplug the black wire going to the compressor coming from thermostat and plug in series the spp6?

thats how it hooks up, was there no instructions with this at all. ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the package (cardboard over plastic bag) only says "connect the two wires from the spp6 in parallel with the run capacitor (one wire each side) without removing any original wires. Use special piggyback terminal of the spp6 if all the run capacitor terminals are being used. install only on psc units."
are there spades you can do that to?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if spades are terminals, no. I can unplug the black wire returning from the thermostat going to the compress and plug the spp6 in series in between. should I try this?

this should work, try that. you say its running now do you think you should wait and see before doing this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the fridge only runs when the alternator is running, otherwise it triggers off the inverter. I will try plugging in the spp6 as you say. thank you for your help!!!! I will try this later tonight. THANK YOU BRYAN!!!

ok thanks Bryan