Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I own a stove/oven from GE. The oven has stopped responding

I own a stove/oven from GE. The oven has stopped responding after a strong smell. The model is JBP90T0F2WW
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
have you check the voltage on the two spades across the element? are you getting 220? when the oven is on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I did not check the voltage on the two terminations of the oven heating element. However, the control panel is not responding so it is likely that the voltage is not getteing there. The only thing working on the control panel is the clock. The heating plate is controled on the panel and does not work either. However, the 4 heating units on the cook top work fine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
so when you touch the touch pad it does nothing? does it beep when you touch a key like bake?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I touch the touchpad, the only key which shows a reaction is the "Clear/off" key. It shows two behaviors:
1- After I plug the power cord, the clock blinks. Pushing the "Clear/off" key stops the blinking of the clock which actually works but the time cannot be adjusted
2- When the cord has been plugged and the clock works, pushing the "Clear/off" key will cause a beep.

Other keys are inactive.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

this is not good that means the erc (electronic range control) is bad Part 942816Part 942816this usually requires a tech to change however, the wiring is different from the original, the part # XXXXX

WB27T10377 Sears has it. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks but I think that this is probably not the cause. In my earlier statement of the problem, I stated that I did replace the "Control Panel unit" which is what you call the ERC. I got a new GE part and I followed exactly the wiring connections and put the new unit in the place of the previous one. This actually showed absolutely no difference with the previous part.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

sorry you didn't mention that you replaced the clock, (erc) , well there are only two other parts that could cause this, 1 the touch pad 2 the door lock assembly, unless you have a fried wire somewhere these are the only things left.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the door lock assembly. That should take one item away. I did not deal with the touch pad. As I mentioned in my introduction, there was a strong smell of some electrical burn before the oven went dead. Would that point to a fried wire?
I have visually examined the wiring on the back and saw no sign of melting of any kind. What is your current suggestion?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sorry I had to eat dinner, well the touch pad wouldn't give off a strong electrical smell so if you replaced the door lock and clock that would indicate a wiring problem somewhere. did you check the terminal block where the cord connects,? this is a conundrum, the touch pad is low voltage and is really just contacts so that shouldn't be the problem,check the wiring real good there has to be a burnt wire somewhere, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will go along the wires and check for continuity, and will be back to confirm the solution if it works or to ask for more advice if it does not. Thanks.