Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello. I have an Amana Microwave that my parents bought for

Hello. I have an Amana Microwave that my parents bought for me in 1977. It was used solely by me, with minimum use until 1994. When my life merged with my husband's in marriage my Amana Microwave ended up in storage on our basement shelf while we used his (inferior!) model. My question is: Is it safe to use this microwave now after 16 years of non-use????? My brother, a computer technician, says we should definitely cut off the electrical cord & discard it. The radiation from it into our heated foods could prove dangerous to our health. DO YOU DISAGREE? My oven says it's an Amana Radar Range - Cook Magic...purchased in 12/77 --- w/very minimal use. (Not digital. Has a turn dial.) I have no other way to find out about this than ask the Amana manufacture, friends & family. Your response would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. We'd like to use my beautiful oven! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Kansas [email protected] THANKS!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
this is fine to use as long as the door seal,(rubber) is in good shape, these have safety's in place and as long as the machine isn't rusted anywhere it will be fine, you shouldn't need to replace the cord either as long as its not damaged and that has nothing to do with the microwaves, you will be fine, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Curious.. Parents bought me the oven in 12/77... I used it as a single person until 1994. Using it now, about HOW LONG is the life expectancy of such an oven? and 2) Can an Amana microwave this old still be repaired by Amana later on? Thanks! Appreciate your prompt, helpful reponses! Karen in Kansas
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well to question 1 these ovens were exceptional ovens and I still see them in use today,these can last 15-20 years question 2 that depends on what you need repaired, there are still some parts available but like everything not all parts are, thats the conundrum, depends on what fails, thats about all I can tell you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

YOU ARE SOOO KIND. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. YOU'VE REALLY HELPED US!

Karen in KS! Have a nice day!

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thanks and well wishes, Bryan