Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Our Whirlpool duet gas dryer is taking two hours to dry a lo

Customer Question

Our Whirlpool duet gas dryer is taking two hours to dry a load of clothes for the second time. In December we were having the same problem and replaced the gas coils and the problem was solved. We purchased new gas coils again and an ignitor and replaced both, but it still was not the fix. The dryer runs on LP. We have taken a leaf blower and blown out the foil hose and also used the suction on our outdoor vacuum. We did not find any blockage. However, we then tested the dryer with the foil vent hose, disconnected from the back of the dryer. It then worked like a charm. What can it be?? The air flows freely through the vent hose per our test. It seems as though something is up with the vent hose since the dryer works without it connected, but we see absolutely no blockage or build up. What is the recommended length of vent hose and how many elbows are recommended for it properly?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi if the dryer works without the hose connected there is a blockage in the vent. You should buy dryer vent cleaning rods from home depot or lowes, these push into the entire lint of the vent and brush clean the vent.

A leaf blower will not do the job because lint that blows through is moist and collects on the bends. The maximum length of the run is dependent on vent size.

Buy the rods and clean the venting and you will be all set. If you have any questions please feel free. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What sensor shuts off the flame to heat it? the flame lights at first for about 40 seconds, then goes down to about 9 seconds after that. Even though the vent hose has bends in it, these rods you recommend to clean the vent hose will work? We also have five feet three elbows of smooth 4" PVC. Does this add to the problem? I read you should not have this type of smooth PVC, but we would have to jack hammer it out to replace it causing extensive repair.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The rods I suggest work like a charm, Take the flaps off on the outside and then go from out to inside. Had a job like this just the other day 15ft 4 bends, the rods cleaned everything out. The thermostat is located on the blower housing, but i don't think this is your problem since you say if you disconnect the vent the machine works. On a gas dryer airflow is extremely important to the running of the machine. If there is a restriction or blockage your clothes are going to take allot longer to dry. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the smooth PVC ducting an issue?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Pvc ducting should never be used, ducting should be all metal either flex or solid. In this case it's not really the issue of why it got plugged since this happens in any type of ducting. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Our home we are having this dryer problem is in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We have called out repairmen here, but they just say it is working as intended...hence the PVC that was used when the house was built. Do you recommend replacing it? The building codes are different here, well actually they have none! The dryer has been an issue since day one of moving in. We actually even had Pacific Sales return it and they gave us a new one. The only time it worked properly was the four months after the coils were replaced.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No you can leave it as is no need to replace it. I'm surprised they have not been able to fix it. When i go to a house with this problem i pull the vent off and run a load, if it dries as it should i then clean out the venting and normally find a big wad of damp lint near a bend. If this vent goes down then loops back up this is your problem. I would buy the rods and just run them through the vent every 6 months...takes about 15 minutes when you get used to how they work. Mike
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think you are onto something here. The laundry room was designed to have a sink then the dryer and washer free standing next to the sink cabinet. there was not enough space so we bought the full size Duet set and stacked them. The dryer is on top of the Washer and the vent goes down behind the cabinet and loops back up. What do you suggest now?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Not sure if you have a basement or what the set up is but if you can imagine a big L shape thats how this is supposed to be. from the dryer to the basement and strait across the basement and out in one shot. If this comes down then across to the outside then back up and out you will need to have the thing replaced and designed differently.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is not a basement, but since the vent needs to be hidden, it goes down at an angle behind the dryer, behind the built in cabinet, then is hooked into where the dryer was originally supposed to be located, then has to jog back up and out. The reason it needs to jog back up is because that side of the house outside where it vents is at a higher elevation. Basically you can stand outside the window of the laundry room and you are looking down into the laundry room window (the window is at about your waist), but from the laundry room looking out the window is about 5'. It is not twisted as in the diagram you sent.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
basically this should not be in a u shape exiting the house but an l shape. If you have no other alternative in how to run the vent just make sure you clean the vent out every 3-6 months. Mike