The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

My Whirlpool Duet washer gave an error code 5d. Why?

Customer Question

My Whirlpool duet sport washer gave a 5d code and will not pump out the water. It snaps to lock the door, turns the drum 1/2 turn unsnaps the door, then re-snaps the door and then just makes a buzzing sound like a pump running but with no effect.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
Ok, the SD error code indicates that the unit has detected too much suds and has shut down until the error is cleared.

Try running a load with no soap and that should clear the problem. If that does not solve the problem, then you will need the service manual to perform further diagnostics to the unit. I am uploading a copy of the manual for your retrieval. It is a large file so it will be about another 10-15 minuets. I will post the download link when it is done.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can't run another load. The machine locks the door, turns the drum 1/2 turn and then unlocks the door; locks the door and then buzzes.

Ok, unplug the unit from the wall outlet for 10 minuets. That should reset the control computer. Please advise if it does not.
Here is the link for the service manual download.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After uplugging the unit for 13 minutes, I restarted it and it immediately buzzes like some pump running??? When I then press the cancel button and restart it, it then turns the drum a little and unlocks the door then relocks and buzzes again.

The diagnostics for the SD error code are on page 6-1 of the manual. Please follow the directions for the error code. Doing so will tell you where the fault lies.

From the sound of things, I'm afraid that it will be in the main controller board. As the part is expensive, I recommend that you exhaust all other possibilities first.