The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My whirlpool duet sport washer gave a 5d code and will not

Customer Question

My whirlpool duet sport washer gave a 5d code and will not pump out the water. It snaps to lock the door, turns the drum 1/2 turn unsnaps the door, then resnaps the door and then just makes a buzzing sound like a pump running but with no effect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpfull, please be sure to click on the acccept button before you log off.

Ok the Sd error code indicates that the unit has detected too much suds and has shut down until the error is cleared.

Try running a load with no soap and that should clear the problem.

If that does not solve the problem, then you will need the service manual to perform further diagnostics to the unit.

I am uploading a copy of the manual for your retrival. It is a large file so it will be about another 10-15 minuets. I will post the download link when it is done.

Best, THS

Edited by The Home Smithy on 5/10/2010 at 2:41 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't run another load. The machine locks the door turns the drum 1/2 turn and then unlocks the door, locks the door and then buzzes

Ok unplug the unit from the wall outlet for 10 minuets. That should reset the control computer.

Please advise if it does not.

Ok here is the link for the service manual download.

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Some things you should know about Just Answer-

You may ask all the questions you need to as long as it pertains to this subject.

Clicking on the accept button will not end your question session. What it does do is transfer the funds to me for answering your question.

You must click on "ACCEPT" for this to happen. If you do not, I am not paid.

If you have a subscription account you must click on "ACCEPT" or JustAnswer will not compensate me for answering your question. NOTE: This does not cost you anything.

You may continue to ask questions until your problem is solved or you are satisfied with the results of our communications.

Thank you for using justanswer.com.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Please be sure to leave positive feedback after you accept. This is very important to us.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After uplugging the unit for 13 min. I restarted it and it immediately buzzes like some pump running??? When I then press the cancel button and restart it, it then turns the drum a little and unlocks the door then relocks and buzzes again.

The diagnostics for the Sd error code are on page 6-1 of the manual. Please follow the directions for the error code. Doing so will tell you where the fault lies.

From the sound of things I'm afraid that it will be in the main controller board. As the part is expensive, I recommend that you exhaust all other possibilities first.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I never did receive the file that you sent.

Please click here.

Follow the directions below to download the file.

graphic