Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Kenmore side by side model number GSH22KGMB BB. When

We have a Kenmore side by side model number GSH22KGMB BB.

This morning at 4 AM, I went into the kitchen and there was a loud rattling noise coming from the freezer side, up near the ice maker. When the door was opened it got quiet.

We were home all day and the freezer was fine, so whatever is happening appears to have begun sometime during the night.

Now when freezer is on and the door is open, the freezer is quiet. When I close the door to the freezer, the door trips the light/fan switch and the rattling noise begins again.

Also, something smells like a melted plastic--the smell is quite strong.

The compressor is working. Whatever the noise is doesn't turn off unless the door to the freezer is opened.

My boyfriend thinks it might be the re-circulation fan (?) There is evidence of ice melting and re-freezing on the interior walls and on the storage racks. It looks like water is running out of the ice maker. There were large frozen chunks of ice on some of the food in the freezer directly under the ice maker. Maybe there was ice on the re-circ fan?

Wednesday the plastic water line to the freezer cracked. Today a plumber replaced the plastic line with a copper one. We turned on the ice maker, which had not been working for a while and wasn't positioned in the freezer properly. It began making ice again.

We noticed that the ice maker makes ice but the auger is not turning to put the ice into the door.

For the time being, we have turned the freezer to zero, turned off the water line to the freezer, and moved the food out until we can figure out what to do. The fridge is still operating.
the first thing you need to do is remove the back panel in the freezer section and check the frost pattern on the coils , see if there is a lot of frost on them , I believe your husband is correct the refrigerator isn't defrosting and the fan is hitting the frost or ice around it, let me know what you find , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I tried to edit my post to you, but you had already replied.

After I typed the question, my boyfriend showed me the freezer--before I was typing what he said.

There is evidence of ice melting and re-freezing on the interior walls and on the storage racks. There were large frozen chunks of ice on some of the food in the freezer directly under the ice maker.

There are two lights on the back wall which light up the freezer and there is a plastic cover that covers the light bulbs. There was ice built up inside that cover (right side).

The ice is frozen in streams running down the back right corner of the freezer (looking at it, it's on the right.) Also there were large frozen chunks of ice on some of the food in the freezer directly under the ice maker.

(I don't know why he didn't tell me any of this as I was asking the question in the first place--I'm sorry!!)

Wednesday the plastic water line to the freezer cracked and leaked under the kitchen sink. Today a plumber replaced the plastic line with a copper one.

After the water line was fixed, I reconnected and turned on the ice maker, which had not been working for a while--I thought it was because it and had not been positioned in the freezer properly. The ice maker began making ice again.

The auger does not turn to put the ice into the door so we have to pull out the ice storage bin in order to get ice.

By this time, the ice storage bin should have been full of ice, but it appears that it stopped making ice and started leaking water somehow.

Several times during the day yesterday my boyfriend had pulled out the ice bin to see if it was working. Maybe he didn't push it back in properly? Not sure about that and shouldn't the ice maker have turned off anyway if that were the case?

For the time being, we have turned the freezer to zero, turned off the water line to the freezer, and moved the food out until we can figure out what to do. The fridge side is still operating.

UPDATE: The freezer had thawed a bit so we turned on the freezer to see if it was still making that loud rattling noise. That sound has stopped and the re-circulation fan appears to be running normally--it sounds normal.

So, now it appears that the problem is perhaps the ice maker gone awry? Any suggestions?

yes the problem is probably with the ice maker feed line inside the freezer. its probably either blocked or the ice maker water fill valve is sticking open and water is dripping into the freezer,you still need to remove the back panel and see if its frosted up or if theres ice behind the panel causing the problem, its definitely comming from the ice maker water supply. I know its a pain to remove the panel but believe me you will see where the problem is once you get it apart, if it stop leaking when you shut the water off its in the feed to the ice maker, let me know what you find , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok-the fridge is a GE.

We can't get the lower part of the freezer panel off at this moment because it doesn't have normal screws. To remove them requires a ratchet that I don't have (they have very small heads so no other tool will work on them). We'll have to get one when the hardware store opens later on today.

I got the top part of the panel unscrewed so I pulled it back far enough to see the top coils inside. They have ice back behind them and it's solid. The coils looked ok--no ice coating them. Ice is behind them.

We know that the water line enters the unit behind the fridge side. There is a tubing clamp that attaches the copper tubing to the refrigerator back wall. The tube then runs into the freezer at some point--we can't see on the manual where that is.

Where is this water fill valve (inside the freezer behind the panel we have to take off, or behind the back of the freezer?) and what does it look like? Can we replace it ourselves if we need to?

If ice blocked the line, what does that mean?

At this point I'm trying to determine if this is this something that we can fix if I go buy the ratchet and getting the panel off? I have an appliance repair person if we should not attempt this ourselves. It does not seem like this is reason enough to buy a new fridge.

don't buy a new refrigerator this one will be fine, the water valve itself is in the back of the refrigerator outside where the house line connects. Part 880070you should be able to fix this yourself, if the tube is frozen you will need to take a hair dryer and defrost all the ice , this has 1/4" screws holding the bottom of the panel in, I would if I were you at least take the back panel off and get a better look, its definitely the water inlet somewhere in the freezer .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My friend Barb runs the Tennessee Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. I'll make sure that her guys in Greeneville know about you! Thanks for all of your help this morning.

My basement flooded on Sunday night (not as bad as Nashville but still a pain!) and my kitchen flooded Wednesday and now this. This problem is the easiest to solve. Thanks, Bryan!! You saved us!!

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX find the problem quickly , if you get it apart and need more help just leave the question open and reply and I will get it, sad about Nashville, poor people, I have a friend that lives there but haven't heard if he was affected, good luck . thanks Bryan