John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

GE Profile, Easy Touch, Gas Dryer, Mod. # DPSB620GC3WW Machine

Customer Question

GE Profile, Easy Touch, Gas Dryer, Mod. # XXXXX

Machine tumbles, but does not emit any heat, so nothing dries.

Technician came and said Igniter Asm, #WE4X739, needed to be replaced. He suggested purchasing the part and installing it myself.

I did so -- still no heat! In the area where I attached the Igner Asm, there is a small while line that is attached to a small black box and along side a small purple line with a similar gold-tip plug that is just hangs unattached, goes nowhere -- should this be connected somewhere?

I could forward a very clear photo of the area if I can send it to you via email.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

does this part have a small plastic window on it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No. It is a 2" black coil-like piece mounted on a white ceramic-like base out of which come two white wires that end in a plug. The plug is protected by a plastic case and consists of two prongs that are inserted into the female plug. The plastic case has the #033 0602 .

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

can you spot it on this breakdown.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the piece is #717. Its base has a mounting bracket, attached by one or two screws. The two wires are plugged into the female plug.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Thats the igniter thats the part you need to replace, its not lighting up to ignite the gas.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

BUT, what about the purple wire that just hangs there, unplugged, going nowhere? Is it a spare wire, or should it be connected somewhere.

I ask because I have installed the igniter and still it is not lighting up to ignite ther gas. Could it be that I needed to Both install the igniter AND plug that purple wire into someplace.

As I said originally, I have a photo of the area and could send it off via email. I do not seem to be able to attach the photo to this inquiry box.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

That wire could go to this part, it would stop the igniter from igniting.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not understand your respone. If the wire could go to this part, WHERE/HOW would it be attached/plugged in?

What do you mean by saying it would stop the igniter from igniting? Are you saying it would stop the igniter from igniting unless plugged in? IF SO, BACK TO MY QUESTION ABOVE: WHERE/HOW IT IS ATTACHED/PLUGGED IN?

Again, I can send a photo if that would help.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

if that part is just hanging its suppose to hook up to the flame funnel to register the heat from the flame, theres two wires to this part you should see a slot in the funnel where you slide that part in.and screw it on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You do NOT understand my question.

I HAVE hooked the igniter into the flame funnel. I slid the part in and screw it on.

STILL NO heat.

And SO I am asking about a purple wire sticking out from the taped bunch of wires. Is probably goes somewhere.

That is what I am asking about.

Unless there is another reason why, even tho replacement igniter is in place, the dryer will STILL NOT HEAT.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
are both wires on the flame sensor and the two wires to the igniter I still don't know that from you yet. if the are how long is this purple wire.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The Thermo-O-Disc now has only one white wire connected. It is NOT an item on the layout you sent me in one of our original emails.

Does this Therno-O-Disc call for two wires? Is it possible to send me a visual of the part and where it goes, how it is connected.

If it takes two wires, the place where the purple wire goes seems to have broken off.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

# XXXXX is the location of that thermo, and it does take the two wires slip it back on that should do the fix .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Themo-O-Disc does not look like #240. Mine is black, with a gold band across the center. There is a small red circular piece on the gold band near where the white wire is attached. Below the gold band is where the purple wire probably goes, but it appears that the attachment mechanism is broken. That is why I would like to see a cut of the Therm-O-Disc.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
and this part is located by the gas valve or on the burner funnel on the blower housing where is this part. located.