Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

toaster oven door wont close completely

Customer Question

toaster oven door won't close completely
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Check to be sure the toaster rack is not binding in the groove it slides in. It's connected to the door and if it's jamming up going back it will prevent the door from closing too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

??????????????????????????

FYI, neither of the 2 toaster racks is connected to the door in any way. Are you looking at the right appliance? I have a Hamilton Beach/Proctor Silex table oven model # XXXXX (#31197 is the functionally same model also). The glass door on the front doesn't close all the way. Right now it's partially open. When it closes properly one hears a click. I've tried closing the door in different ways with no luck.

Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
IS this your oven? Usually it's the door hinge that is out of adjustment or loose. Check the screws in the hinge first thing..

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is my oven!

There is ONE hinge on the left side as you face the oven. There are NO visible

screw(s) that connect it to the side of the oven. There is a single screw above it.

There is a flat sliver flange at the bottom front of the oven right next to the oven door. This is connected to the oven with four screws. I've tried tightening & untightening all 4 screws; no joy.

Tom

Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
As you close the door very slowly, can you tell if it is hitting wrong...does the door seem out of line? Look closely right where it closes. The screw at the top (the single screw) try turning it and see if it moves the door position any.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The problem appears to be the hinge on the left side that goes into the side of the oven. I was just able to get the door to close & when it did there was an audible click from the hinge as the door closed properly.

There is a single screw on the left side inside the oven that appears to go into the hinge mechanism (there is NO screw in the same location on the right side). I've tried tightening this screw but it it will not tighten; it just keeps turning. I cannot tell if it's stripped or what.

Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is the problem most likely, it is stripped and allowing the door to be out of place. That's why all the trouble. I don't think there's much we can do unless you took the think apart and tried to replace the stripped stuff. Can you get that screw out with some pliers? If it comes out look at the threads, they will look stripped and maybe you could replace the screw with one from the hardware.