Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE JKP18 wall oven that will not run the self cleaning

I have a GE JKP18 wall oven that will not run the self cleaning mode. When I start the cleaning procedure the "lock door" flashes on the display and it begins to beep. It seems the oven thinks the door is open but it is closed. Also the fan does not operate when we try to bake in the convection mode. Anything I can try or do I need a professional?
[email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
this is most likely a door lock issue itself, either one of the switches is bad(they don't come separately) or the lock motor is bad, Part 253901if you have a volt meter and have knowledge of electrical you can test this , if not you need a service call to check these, hope this info is helpful, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But what does the lock have to do with the convection fan?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
because if this lock is in the self clean position it wont let any of the bake functions either convection or regular work, so if one of the switches is in the wrong position it thinks its locked,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The oven heats up just fine in regular bake mode, the convection element heats up in convection mode but the fan does not rotate. So if I install a new lock motor #wb49t10020 this would solve both the convection fan problem and the lock door problem? I have no problem replacing the lock motor but I am just trying to make sure that is the only thing I need.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well the fan may also be an issue in this, you would need to test the fan and see if its bad also, did this happen all At once or was the fan not working before the door lock problem? if so the fan is probably bad also. thanks Bryan