Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

Ive got a GE washer WNSE6280B1WW. the motor is clicking and

Customer Question

I've got a GE washer WNSE6280B1WW. the motor is clicking and and flashing or sparking in slow agitate only. ran through the field service mode and everything else is working properly. is this a problem with the motor or control?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is the motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so you are saying the low speer resistor in the motor is bad and causing the O.L. switch in the motor to trip and that is causing the arcing and voltage spiking? because the high agiate is working fine and so is the spin cycle. So NOTHING else could cause this, because the motor is around $300 and i may be able to replace the washer for that.
I am a fire truck mechanic and have rebuilt many generators. I have the tools (DVOM) and the B.S. diagram that does not give me any E, I, R or P values, or descriptions of operation. just trying to make the most informed decision.

Thank you
Jared Gladfelter
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Low side switch inside the motor housing is bad, windings are good. gonna see if i can find a switch and rebuild motor, clean stator, new bearings and such. thank you.
You will have to replace the motor.You are welcome.