Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

My ice maker stopped working because of an ice build up in

My ice maker stopped working because of an ice build up in the back wall..........this is the third time it has happened. Instead of sopping when it is full, it obviously keeps going until ice is formed in the back..........................I do not wish to have a repairman again, only want to know what to do myself to remedy this problem.

Patricia Harper
Hi Welcome to The Just Answer Appliance Category..My name is XXXXX XXXXX to working with you Today on your appliance repair problem..Very common problem...You need to replace the water inlet valve ...It is located at back bottom of fridge...Follow the waterline from the ice maker to valve on back of fridge...What happens is the valve is not turning offcompletely once the ice maker calls for water...At this point the water trickles into the ice maker ...Which is causing your problem...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is this something that can do myself?
Im not sure of your mech capabilities..But if you follow the waterline down from the ice maker at the back of fridge...All you need to do is disconnect the electrical connects and the water connections to the valve ...Then replace the valve..You can take the valve to your local appliance shop...For replacement..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can get rid of the ice build up?
Shut the water off to fridge...Then turn the fridge off...Use a hairdryer to melt the ice...Please remember before you leave today to use the accept option as this is the only way i get paid for helping you today..If you have any more questions concerning this matter please let me know...Thanks Bob