william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

on my kenmore side by side the ice maker dosent work very well.

Customer Question

on my kenmore side by side the ice maker dosent work very well. Also the water comes out of the water dispenser very very slow.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.
Whats your model number please? Whats the supply line made of plastic or copper tubing? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Plastic tubing, i can not find the model number, i will go look again.

Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

kenmore coldspot model #50522100.

Alot of times the ice is hollow, other times ice collects on the ice maker and prevents it from rotating.

Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.
I want you to pull the frige out and tell me if there is a kink in the plastic line you will have to look close ok. Then we will go from there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no kinks

Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.

Ok Thanks i need for you to pop the cover on the front of the i/m it might have one screw holding it on or it might not when you take the cover off tell me if you see this we will test the i/m and water fountain selenoids from here. Its a easy test.

Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok, looks like this.

Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.
Ok do you know what a jumper wire is?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeah
Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.
Ok put that jumper wire into holes maked L-V this is the test for the water valves water there are letters marked under them little holes that you see make sure that jumper wire has a plastic coating on that ok let me know what it did ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

nothing happened.

This morning the ice maker is going through its cycle but no ice is being made, i dont think that any water is getting to the spout for the ice maker. The water is still coming out of the water dispenser.

Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.

When was the last time you changed your water filter on this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i havent, where is that located to change?

Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.

It looks like this it should be located in the frige in on the top. When you jumpered this out was there any noise.

Part 779238

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, no noise that i could hear. The wires went very deep into the holes, not sure if i did it right. Is there another jump that i can do to see if i get a response?
Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.
What kind of wire did you use. Did you find the filter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just used a 18g wire, stripped the ends and put them in the holes, found the filter, turned off the water took out the filter. Filter says replace by 9/07 so that may be the response. Just kind of worries me that the jump did not do anything so the valve may not be working.
Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.

Because you should have heard the selenoids kick in. Try the jump again and move the wires around a bit .

Expert:  william replied 6 years ago.

If this didnt work i would change the filter then but a new set of water valve selenoids .

Part 786533

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-50522100-%3d%3di786533&PartID=786533 $57.80

If this answers your question, please click the ACCEPT BUTTON This is how I get paid for my skills & knowledge.Need more info ask as long as it pertains to the same question. BONUSES are appreciated. NOTE: As I am not there this is based on your observations and information that i get from you. Thank-you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got a new filter, and tried the jump again. The new filter made the water come out of the water dispeser much faster. I heard something kick in when I tried the jump again.