william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I have a Westinghouse RS 642 side by side fridge freezer. The

I have a Westinghouse RS 642 side by side fridge freezer. The front edges and the dividing strip between the fridge and the freezer are very hot. Is this something to do with a condensation fan? The appliance is about 10 years old and works great otherwise.

My question is, what is the problem, and how can I fix it?

Practically all refrigerators have what is called a "mullion heater" between the freezer and fresh food compartments. Otherwise, the wall separating the fresh food and freezer compartments would freeze as well as the fresh food compartment. Some heaters are a bit warmer than others according to brand of appliance.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is really hot. I can only just hold my hand on it. Is this normal?

Yes unfortunately this is normal. You might want to check and see if there is any dirt or dust on your condensor coils in the bottom of the frige if you wanted too.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I get to the condenser coils?

You should have a vent at the bottom of your frige take off and use a vacum to suck up whatever could be on the coils they also make a brush that you can buy either at lowes or home depot that you can use to clean them also.