Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kitchen aid superba side by side and my ice maker

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aid superba side by side and my ice maker is making ice but the pieces are connected and there is water running down and freezing through the outer ice dispenser.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
if you open the door and look down the ice chute, is there a lot of frost build up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, there is ice and frost build up down the chute and on the inside of the door
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok so this is a common problem and it means that your door chute flap isn't pulling shut all the way and sealing up. Here is a link to the part kit you will need to order and replace---it comes with instructions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure that is the only source of the problem as water is dripping from the bottom of the actual ice maker when I open the freezer. Do you think the flap is the source of both issues .
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
no, if water is dripping from the actual icemaker and you can see it, then replace the ice maker. They don't sell parts for the icemaker it's all one part, part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I just order it from Kitchen Aid and replace it myself or do I need a technician to install it.
Do I still need to replace the chute flap? It appears to still be making a decent seal.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
it's very easy to replace the icemaker and yes, you can order it from Kitchenaid or your local appliance parts store. If the seal looks good then I wouldn't replace the chute flap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK thank you so-will do that.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
no problem and good luck.