Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher Model GU2400XTP and the normal

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher Model GU2400XTP and the normal light keeps flashing. I have replace the control panel and thermal fuse and after each replacement the dishwasher works for one or two sessions. The flashing normal is back and I am stuck.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
By control panel do you mean control board? Because you need the large control panel with the touchpad attached to it. This error means that the unit thinks the normal button is shorted so it flashes. If the control panel was the part that you replaced, then replace the control board because it thinks that your touchpad is shorted even though it's brand new and obviously not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the board.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Then that is your problem. Like I said you need the touchpad control panel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any way to verify that the problem is the panel? I already have about 30% of the cost of a new dishwasher into this and I not interested in investing another 30% without some confidence that the repair will work.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no there isn't, but like I said---that is what the error code is telling you so why wouldn't it be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry but you just need to replace the touchpad control panel. You've already bought the control board so that leaves zero chance it can be something else especially when the error code is stating you have a bad touchpad in the first place.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry but others have directed me in different directions. The touchpad is around $150.

Do you know why it worked for a couple washes after I repaced the original contol board? and then again after I replaced the thermal fuse? Then again after I moved the float up and down?

I am afraid that the touchpad is not the correct solution.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I know you're afraid of it not being the correct part, but there is nothing I can say other than it is. The only reason the unit probably worked for a little bit after you fiddled around replacing other parts is because something was jossled and that fixed it for a short period of time, but you NEED to replace the touchpad. There is no other option. Why someone would tell you to replace any other part than the touchpad when you're getting a "SHORTED TOUCHPAD" error code, then you are just speaking to the wrong people obviously that don't know anything about appliances.

Edited by appliance Doc on 5/1/2010 at 2:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The answer does not follow any logic and I would like my money returned.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
sorry but I'm not sure how that does not follow any logic, you get an error code stating that your touchpad is shorted, yet you refuse to replace the touchpad even though that's what the control board is telling you is wrong? Sorry, but until you replace the touchpad and it doesn't work I will not request a refund for you.