Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

A sears model 110 series 80 washing machine does not spin when

Customer Question

A sears model 110 series 80 washing machine does not spin when timer enters spin cycle. I depress the safety switch with a pen to watch drum. I hear the systems and relays engage but drum doesn't turn.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 4 years ago.

Hi Welcome to The Just Answer Appliance Category..My name is XXXXX XXXXX to working with you Today on your appliance repair problem..The motor coupling is broken...Very common problem with this unit.The coupling is located between the motor and the transmission...Click on the link below to repair...Please also before you leave use the accept option as this is the only way us techs get paid for helping you tonight...Also if you have any more questions please ask...Thanks Bob..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPGs2UMUJc&feature=related

Order part online click here..

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id=3963893

Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The linkage was not broken. Now what?
Have you checked the coupling on the transmission side to see if maybe the motor shaft was spinning inside coupling...Allot of times the coupling does not have to be broken...The shaft will spin inside...Another way of checking this would be to run the unit and inspect the the trans mission shaft to see if it is spinning..If that checks ok then you would need to remove the agitator ...Remove the soap dispenser(it just pulls off...If no dispenser then remove the plastic cap in the same manner)...There will be a nut done the center of agitator...Remove the nut ...Then run the washer to see if the shaft is spinning...If the shaft is not spinning then your transmission is faulty..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can turn the transmision side by hand and the drum moves. its hard but it turns
If you can turn the shaft by hand then your coupling is most likely spinning on the shaft...Sometimes its hard to see...If you inspect the half of the coupling that was on the trans shaft it maybe rounded out...It should have a "D" shape to it..IF that checks ok then you either have a brake assembly problem or trans problem...Which is a big job to replace..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll keep working on it.Hadn't thought about brake. Will also see if lube may hep.
Let us know how you come out with it..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well this is interesting.
I took the case off and bypassed the safty. Ran spin and observed, no action. unplugged and hand spun drum to test friction. Forwards no problem, but when I turned it backwards I feld some resistance and a clunking sound then massive resistance. Hmm... plugged in and ran another test and Vuallla. Spin working. Put that in your database.
The brake assembly was most likely hung up..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I belive it still is. Performance is intermittant. A video on brake replacement would warrant a tip.
When this is happening is the trans mission shaft turning..?...If so it would be a problem inside transmission..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for delay. Got something to eat with a friend.
Observing transmision; output on top turns while in spin mode but no drum movement.
Grabbing drum and moving it meets no resistance in either direction. Any thoughts Bob?
Does the machine agitate..?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. quite vigurously
Remove the agitator...Check the tub block...It is what the part in the center of tub with threads on it..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took some time to enjoy the Twins loose. Rats.
Anyway, I got the agitator out. Can't budge the large knotched nut. I then decided to tip unit on side and check brake / trans unit.
Found that only two of three bolts holding transmission in place are still there. One was 2.5 turns loose. This pulled the trans closer to horizontal.
Could this miss-alignment cause the brake hange-up? I think so. I have a sample and will visit hardware store tomorrow.
Dan the Handyman
By all means yes it can...This would explain your intermittent problem...Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Didn't think you were up. I would like to keep you up to date. If this link fails, how should I contact you?
You should have no problem getting ahold of me through this post...Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. Good night.

Take care..