Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

hello got a question

Customer Question

hello? got a question
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell if the fan in the freezer is working ?

and can you see any frost on the rear wall of the freezer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fan is on in the freezer and no frost on the rear wall of freezer
ok can you pull the unit out and take the rear cover off on the bottom.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, the rear cover on the bottom (at the backside) of the refrigerator has a cardboard back. I pulled it back and have it exposed to me. Next step? Thanks!

is the fan under there ?

And the black component is the compressor ,fell of it and tell me ,is it cold,warm ,hot?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i felt it. it is located on the far left hand side on the bottom, and it is round. It feels very hot
ok and is the fan running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i feel a little air circulation behind the unit but dont hear anything

the fan is right there on the right side next to the compressor ,you should be able to see if it is running or not?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes sir the fan is on,

ok then you have a bad compressor .

how old is this unit?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
At least 5 yrs old, maybe older. How much does this usually cost to have a repair person do it-parts and service What made you come to the conclusion it is the compressor? I live in Dallas.

The Conclusion = the fans are running and the compressor is hot but not cooling (which means it has bad valves) "its running but not pumping refrigerant"

A sealed system repair will run you $600-800 ,due to it has to be a licensed refrigeration servicer. EPA Green house gases and all that!!

If less then 5 years old may still be under a 5 year warranty for the sealed system.