John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Hello, I have a Whirlpool top freezer refrigerator. The

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool top freezer refrigerator. The refrigerator portion is always too cold (ice develops) no matter what setting I use. The refrigerator is fifteen years old. Is it worthwhile to fix this or should I just get a new one
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Thanks for the question,where does the ice form in the fridge.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for listening to my problem. The ice seems to be coming from the back portion of the refrigerator and seems to leak from the top. The ice is significant as we have had to place a container in the rear portion of the top shelf which catches the water, which in turn freezes. Some water makes it down past the top shelf. The crisper tray is also freezing produce too.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

the problem is the drain tube is blocked up and the water from the defrost cycle cant drain down to the pan under the fridge, look at this diagram you have to take the floor out and take the freezer panel off and clean the drain, you can use a hair blower to do this with. once the drain is clear pour hot water and vinegar down the drain to clean it out, this should solve the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you nailed the problem. My only question though is what is the "floor"?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The floor is number 39 its in the breakdown.