esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
15396620

My GE profile microwave has started making a crackling/popping

My GE profile microwave has started making a crackling/popping sound. It is 8 years old. What can this be and is it a simple fix? Thanks Cyndi in California
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 7 years ago.
does the unit heat
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes
do u see arcing or spatking inside
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Afraid to let it run that long. I stop it the minute I hear the noise. I don't want a fire.
hi yes thats would cause sparking how old is it and what led to this
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The unit is 7 years old. It was fine until, I tried popping pop corn. No joke, that is what we were cooking, it took a bit to realize it was not the pop corn. However, we did try to melt butter, and it did.
that is the stirrer cover its the part that distributes the heat waves do u see any burnt spots inside the unit
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, I may not have allowed it to run long enough to cause this. I do smell a little metal type smell.
ok yes maam thats what happened its going to do it again 7 years is good that metal smell is the acring when the inside developes burn spots you cant fix that
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So are you telling me the unit is dead and I have to buy another one? Although it still heats.
you can still use it just be aware of the arcing you wont always be around it to watch it so it can happen at any time ive seen this many times when you see it really sparking bad remember it also gives off radiation
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, no fixing it. I have a two year old in the house. I never want her in danger.
hi no i wouldnt wantany of my customers in any danger or harm but some appliance can do that. i trid my best to help and explain this unit pressing accept pays me thanks and good luck. how else can i help you