S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

My Whirlpool duet washing machine gets an error code p1 about

Customer Question

My Whirlpool duet washing machine gets an error code p1 about 6 times, always when pumping water into the machine. i hit pause/cancel then start, and the washer continues. I always get to the end of the cycle eventually. Can you give me any idea on what could cause this? It happens during all the pumping water cycles. Thanks for any help. Doug MacMillan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
hello, i first need the complete model number from either inside the door or the rear of the washer. the second thing is there are no "p" codes on the whirlpool duet. codes will be as follows.
Whirlpool Duet Front Loading Automatic Washer Fault Codes
Failure Code Fault Code Description Solution
FH No water detected entering machine or Pressure switch trip not detected. If after 30 seconds the control does not detect water entering machine and then valves will be turned off and the error code will be displayed.
Or
If the control has turned the water valves on and after 8 minutes the flow meter has detected 10.5 gallons of water passing through it, but has not detected the pressure switch trip, the valves will be turned off and the error code will flash.

Press PAUSE/CANCEL twice to clear the display.

Potential Causes

• If there is no water in the unit:
- Make sure that both valves at the water source(s) are turned on all the way.
- Check for plugged or kinked inlet hoses or plugged screens in the inlet valves
- Verify inlet valve operation
• If there is water in the unit:
- Verify Drain pump operation
- Pressure Switch Hose is in good condition and properly connected to Tub and Pressure switch

• Verify there is not a siphon problem
• Verify wire harness connections to; Inlet Valves, Pressure Switch, Drain Pump, Flow Meter, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check all hoses for possible leaks
• Verify pressure switch operation
• Verify flow meter operation
• Verify CCU operation

Replace failed component.
F02 Long Drain If the drain time exceeds 8 minutes, the water valves are turned off and F02 is flashed.

NOTE: After 4 minutes the “Sud” error will be displayed, then 4 minutes later the F02 error code will be displayed.

Potential Causes

• Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked
• Check the electrical connections at the pump and make sure the pump is running.
• Check the drain pump filter for foreign objects
• If the above does not correct the problem replace the pump
F05 Water temperature sensor error If during the water heating step in the wash cycle, the water temperature sensor (NTC) value is out of range, or the heating element circuit has failed, the F05 error code will be displayed.

Potential Causes

• Check the Water Temperature Sensor, Heating Element and Element Relay
• Check connections to the Sensor, Heating Element and Relay

Replace failed component.
F06 Drive motor tachometer error The control is unable to properly detect motor speed and the machine will shut down. If a failure occurs during high-speed spin the door will be unlocked after 3 minutes.

Potential Causes

• Check wire harness connections between the Drive Motor/Tachometer and the Motor ControlUnit (MCU), and between the MCU and the Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check the Drive Motor
• Check the MCU
• Check the Wire Harness

Replace failed component.
F07 Motor control unit error The Central Control Unit has detected a short in the motor control unit. If a failure occurs during high-speed spin the door will be unlocked after 3 minutes.

Potential Causes

• Check wire harness connections between the Drive Motor and the Motor Control Unit (MCU), and between the MCU and the Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check the MCU
• Check the Drive Motor
• Check the Wire Harness

Replace failed component.
F09 Overflow condition If the Overflow contact on the pressure switch is Closed for more than 60 seconds an Overflow condition will occur. In an Overflow condition, the Door will remain locked, and the Drain Pump will run constantly, even if PAUSE/CANCEL is pressed twice and the Display is cleared. Unplug the unit to service.

Potential Causes

• Check Wire Harness connections to the Drain Pump, Pressure Switch, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check / Clean Drain Pump Filter of foreign objects
• Check for Drain Pump Failure
• Check the Inlet Valve for proper shut off
• Check the Pressure switch for proper operation

Replace failed component.
F10 Motor Control Unit (MCU) heat sink thermal trip If the thermal protector on the MCU heat sink gets too hot, it will open the thermal protector on the heat sink which will stop motor functions and an F10 will be displayed.

Potential Causes

• Check for Proper Installation, verify the unit is not located near a source of heat and has proper ventilation.
• Check Wire Harness connections to the MCU, the motor, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check the Drive system for any worn or failed components
• Check MCU
• Check Motor

Replace failed component.
F11 Serial communication error Communication between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the Motor Control Unit (MCU) cannot be sent correctly.

Potential Causes

• Check MCU
• Check CCU
• Check Motor
• Check Wire Harness

Replace failed component.
F13 Dispenser circuit error If the dispenser motor is not able to be driven to it’s proper position.

Potential Causes

• Check mechanical linkage from dispenser motor to the top of the dispenser.
• Check Wire Harness connections to the dispenser motor and Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check Dispenser Motor

Replace failed component.
F14 EEPROM error The Central Control Unit (CCU) receives it’s data from an EEPROM onboard the CCU. If there is an error reading this data it will cause this error.

Potential Causes

• A power glitch may cause this error. Try unplugging the Unit for two minutes to see if that fixes the error.
• Check CCU.

Replace failed component.
F15 Motor Control Unit (MCU) error If the MCU detects multiple resets or errors during a wash cycle it will go into this error mode.

Potential Causes

• Check Drive belt
• Check MCU
• Check Motor
• Check Wire Harness

Replace failed component.
Sud SUDS LOCK (Overdose of detergent detected during the wash cycle) The motor control unit senses a suds lock condition by analyzing the current draw on the drive motor. If “Sud” is displayed a potential suds lock is detected. This may signify a bad pump, an extra heavy load, excessive detergent, or excessive suds.

Potential Causes

• If too much detergent was used, run the unit through a Rinse/ Spin cycle then a Normal cycle without adding any detergent. This should clear the unit of the excess detergent.
• Check Drain Pump
• Check the Pressure Switch
• Check CCU

Replace failed component.
FdL Door lock error A Door Lock Error occurs if the door cannot be locked. It will try to lock it 6 times before displaying the error.

Potential Causes

• Door Lock Mechanism broken or removed from the Door
• Check Door Lock/Switch Assembly
• Check the wire harness connections to the Door Lock/Switch Assembly and Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Door Lock/Switch Assembly Failure

Replace failed component.
FdU Door unlock error A Door Unlock Error occurs if the door cannot be unlocked. It will try to unlock the door 6 times before displaying the error.

Potential Causes

• Door Lock Mechanism broken.
• Check Door Lock/Switch Assembly for foreign objects
• Check Wire Harness connections to the Door Lock/Switch Assembly and Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Door Lock/Switch Assembly Failure

Replace failed component.

Note: The door lock/switch assembly can be manually unlocked.

To Manually unlock the door lock system:

1. Unplug the power cord from the outlet.
2. Remove the lower toe panel.
3. Reach up along the inside of the front panel and locate the bottom of the door latch assembly.
4. Located on the bottom of the door latch assembly is a tear-drop shaped tab.
5. Gently pull the tab down about 1/4 inch or until a click is heard.
6. The door may now be opened.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry. the code is F1. The model # XXXXX XXXXX The type is 580. The serial # XXXXX XXXXX Thanks again, Doug.
does this happen during the spin cycle or the fill cycle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It happens during both the spin cycle and and the fill cycle, especially during the washing of whitest whites, but it happens a lot (6 times) during the initial fill cycle, but that is not the only times. Doug
do you have low water pressure by chance?