Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have 1998 GE Profile Side By Side Refrigerator, Model #TFX30PBBA

I have 1998 GE Profile Side By Side Refrigerator, Model #TFX30PBBA which is not cooling well on the refrigerator side and the freezer is becoming marginal. I have tried
1. Adjusting controls
2. Cleaned the coils underneath
3. Turned it off overnight.

The fan is working however there is slight icing on the lower portion of the coils in the rear on the freezer side.

I had an independent repairman look it two days ago who said the coil was probably stopped up at the capillary from the dryer (this Greek to me) and it would have to taken apart, tubing blown out with the labor to do it costing 4-500 dollars and still may not work. He recommended I buy a new refrigerator.

What are your thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
I think he's exactly right. What he means by "stopped up at the capillary from the drier" is that something is restricting the freon flow inside the cooling system so it's not cooling properly. Without taking a pressure reading it's hard to say if the compressor is going inefficient, if it has a restriction, or if the freon is just leaking out. Whatever the problem is, if the refrigerator is working and the freezer is just not cold enough, the repair will cost between $400-550 to repair.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Repair or replace?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
I would replace to be honest.