Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

Craftsman 137.218250 10 table saw. Stopped while cutting hardwood

Customer Question

CraftsmanNNN-NN-NNNN10" table saw. Stopped while cutting hardwood (IPE). Now won't start. Is there a reset button?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Does the motor make any sound at all when turned on to run? If it 'hums' or buzzes let me know. If not we may have to do some checking with a meter, is this something you can do with my help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No motor sound when turned on. I have a multimeter,
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
first I want you to open the brush holders and check the brushes, There are two small round black cap on the motor, one on either side of the motor for two brushes. Unscrew that cover and check that the brush is there and at least 1/2" long. Tell me what you see and if the brush is OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the "brushes" look like two spring-loaded metal blocks. Each is a little longer than 5/8 inch in length. I took them out, cleaned the sawdust out and put them back in. Still won't turn on.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Roll a thin piece of light grade sand paper and slip it in the brush holder (with the brush out). Spin the motor by hand and clean the armature with the sand paper. Give the brush face a lick too! Then install brush. Do both sides.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried the sandpaper. Still nothing.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Ok, time for the meter tests. Put your meter on ohms scale. Put leads to plug end feeding the saw hot and neutral prongs on the cord. While on plug, turn switch to 'ON'. If switch is good, should see very low ohms, maybe 1-2 ohms into motor. If nothing or open, get into the switch and check the switch connections and ohm though the switch terminals to the wire in wire out terminals.
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
0 ohms, so i'm going into the switch,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
found the problem and was able to rewire. thanks
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Nice job, thank you. (need not reply)

Edited by Craig on 4/18/2010 at 7:42 PM EST