Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello, I have a Sub Zero 532 (17 years old), and the freezer

Hello, I have a Sub Zero 532 (17 years old), and the freezer fan is always on and very loud (can hear it from second floor) whenever the freezer is closed. The only time the freezer fan is off is when the door is open. I've vacuumed the dust from the grill, but still the fan runs constantly. Is there anything I can do to make it run more intermittently (and quietly) or is it indicative of a larger problem? Thanks!
what are the temps in the freezer and fresh food section, ? are they good?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Temp in freezer is about 15 degrees and fridge seems cold enough. The problem is the fan behind the ice maker. It's extremely loud and on 24 hours a day. Also, there is 'snow' around the ice maker, and I don't remember seeing that a few months ago, so maybe that's a clue to the issue. Last night I took out the shelves in the freezer and pulled down the back panel in the freezer to try to get to the freezer fan. I was able to reach the top portion of the fan and it didn't seem to have any ice on it as far as I could feel, but it did move slightly from front to back of the spoke it was on, so it wasn't completely secure. Not sure if this would help to account for the loud sound, but also not sure why it's on 24/7. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave
how much frost was on the back coils in the freezer? 15 degrees is to high this should be between 0-8 degrees,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Maybe .5 inches of frost around the icemaker. I definitely scraped off a bunch of frost/snow around the whole icemaker and a bit on the shelf directly above it (including some covering one of the wires leading into the icemaker. Where are the back coils in the 532--directly behind the icemaker? Would this cause the fan to continue running 24/7? Thanks, Dave
if the coils were frosted behind the panel yes it would run a lot because the cold air is staying behind the panel and not reaching the thermostat to shut it down when its suppose to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I try defrosting the freezer (currently it's on 7 out of 10, with 10 being the coldest)? Or should I try blowing a hairdryer on the coils? btw--where are the coils located inside the freezer? Where is the thermostat located? Thanks again.
this refrigerator has two compressors and therefor two evaporator coil setups you want to defrost the ones in the freezer section, they are behind the back panel in the freezer, heres a diagram its the best I can do on this,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the diagram--do you have the other page of the diagram with the decodes for the numbers? (that way I can tell where the evaporator coils are?) Also, what is the best way to defrost that area--do I use a hairdryer on that area or turn off the entire freezer? Thanks for your help.
if you turn off the freezer and leave the door open overnight it should defrost on its own and you wouldn't have to take it apart right now, but you have a defrost problem most likely and you need to find out what is wrong with it, you would need to test some parts and see what the problem is. the evaporator coils are just under the fan in the picture about half way up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thanks again, and this should be my last question before I accept: Assuming I leave the fridge open overnight and it temporarily fixes the problem, and then the frost reappears and the fan gets very loud again, what would be your best guess as to what the problem is, and what should I do about it? Thanks.
well once its defrosted you should be able to get the back panel off in the freezer , most likely the defrost thermostat is bad . Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is snapped to the coils, you can order it @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-532-%3d%3db114i1514997&PartID=1514997 hope this helps, thanks Bryan