Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I purchased a used crosley sid/sid frig and i have encountered

I purchased a used crosley sid/sid frig and i have encountered that the fresh food side of the refrigerator is not cooling after 4-5 days. The temp starts at 45-50 then it stays at around 60 degrees.The freezer works great. crosley is a spin off brand of i believe Admiral brand.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
check and make sure the light is going off when you shut the door, take a butter knife and stick it between the gasket and refrigerator, see if the lights staying on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the light is off when the door is shut

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
do you have a model #?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where would that be on the fridge? there is nothing on the door panel. could it be on the back of the fridge?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i found a number on the top of the fridge.... CS21B5DW - & 14173395YW

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you need to pull the controls down and check the damper assembly # XXXXX on the diagram make sure the spring hasn't come off and the damper is opening,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
did you check the damper? if so was it ok?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the diagram you presented does not look like my refrigerator's.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
those are the diagrams of your refrigerator, heres the link to the diagrams,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try this this evening. What purpose does this damper serve? This fridge cools great for 4-5 days i would say between 35-40 degrees (#8 setting) then it goes up to 60degrees. I was thinking that the fridge is possibly freezing up because I notice some frost build up down at the very bottom opening between the freezer and the fresh box. This opening is about 3inx2 down by the vegetable bins at the bottom of the fridge. The frost is not on the walls just inside this opening (between the freezer & fresh box). My hubby said that he did clean the bottom of the fridge before he brought it in because it was really dusty. Could the condenser build up heat due to add'l dust and possibly cause it to stop cooling only the fresh area of the box? what i would need toknow is where the condensor is on this unit so that he can try to blow out the dust on the condensor. This unit is totally enclosed, would it be safe to tilt it in order to get to the bottom of the unit?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the damper opens and closes to cool the fresh food section when needed, I would remove the back panel in the freezer and check the frost pattern, see if its frosted up behind the panel , let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

dear expert,

sorry took so long to respond. Removed back panel in freezer, it was covered in frost. Defrosted it and dried it thoroughly. When reconnected found that the damper door was not opening to allow cool air to circulate. the spring item#10 on diagram was there but we are thinking that item#3 may not be operating and needs to be replaced. what is the name of this item? It looks like a cylinder wrapped with coils.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Found that item # XXXXX is called a Control assembly, temp. would this item stop operating and cause the door to stop opening? How often or why does this item go out?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes that is the cold control and they go out every now and then, not that uncommon, but it doesn't control the damper on this, the other know you turn that says freezer opens and closes this. I believe you just have a defrost problem in this, most likely the defrost thermostat and heater which come together. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is common, you can order this @ and this is in the freezer on the coils you defrosted. thanks Bryan