John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My model 110 Kenmore washer will not pump all the water out

My model 110 Kenmore washer will not pump all the water out on the second rinse, slow spin cycle. It leaves about 3 inches of water in the tub. I use that cycle a lot, slow wash, slow rinse, and second rinse with delicate fabrics. Why is it suddenly not emptying the tub?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Is the drain water leaving the drain hose with a good strong water flow.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On the other cycles yes, on the second rinse slow cycle, no.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Do you use the slow cycle with a heavy load.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, not ever. Only with very light weight clothing, like nylon pjs and undies.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Tip the washer back and take the pump off the motor and check the water pump, it could be worn .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
if the water is draining out all the water in the normal cycle, it should do it as well in the delicate as well, did you remove the clothes right after the cycle is finished and found water in the tub.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I removed them immediately after cycle, most of the time. I have just discovered that it will pump all the water out on low water level setting, and without a load in it. But it won't pump all out with a higher water level. It actually empties better with no load at all in it.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
On the normal cycle doe it start to spin right away and pump out at the same time, some of those models have a neutral drain where its suppose to drain first then the washer stops for a second and then it starts to spin, this could be the problem, if it s doing that its a timer problem, I would use the normal setting and see if it will happen on that cycle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It does drain most of the water out before it spins (after a short delay) on the normal cycle. On the second rinse delicate cycle it starts pumping out but then it goes into a spin while there is still about half a tub of water. Think it is the timer?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes it can be the timer on the delicate its the neutral drain thats not working correctly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question, what is a neutral drain? And does the timer need replacing and is this model a plug in timer? Okay that was 3 questions in one.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
If it pause for 3 or 4 minutes then begins to drain, you have missed the 3-5 second motor pause. The pause is at about 2 minutes, as all water should be drained within 2 minutes, then timer causes the motor to pause for 3-5 seconds and then restarts, to shift out of neutral drain.

You most likely have some bad motor spin contacts causing this long pause before it actually starts to drain/spin. In that 3 or 4 minutes it should have been draining out the water for 2 minutes, then the 3-5 second pause, then restart for spin and spin for 3 or 4 minutes, (or much longer on final spin), depending on the cycle your in.

It is a plug in timer.

John, Home Appliance Technician