Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The freezer on my Maytag refrigeratoris working fine but the

The freezer on my Maytag refrigeratoris working fine but the upper section is not. I have it turned up to the maximum. What could be wrong?
is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, there is some frost at the back of the freezer

ok you need to take the back panel in the freezer out and defrost the coils with a hair dryer, you have a defrost problem and its blocking the air flow to the fresh food section, can you recheck the model # XXXXX not comming up?

1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.

Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

All types

• Inside the refrigerator or freezer, on the upper left or right side wall
  • Behind the lower crisper drawer
  • Behind the lower toe kick-plate
  • On the face frame of the refrigerator body
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, the number I gave you before was in the instruction booklet and was probably for the water filtration system. I looked in the refrigerator and the model number is XXXXX Serial # XXXXX I will try what you suggest but it may take a while (I am not a spring chicken and will need some help) so will probably only be able to see if the hairdryer trick works round about 8:00 p.m. tonight.
ok once you get it defrosted you will need to replace this. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its the defrost thermostat, you can get this @ and its on the top of the coils . once you get this defrosted put it back together until the part comes in , it will work fine for about 2-3 weeks before it frosts up again, this part will be in around 2-3 days after you order it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, to remove the back panel of the freezer I assume I will have to defrost the freezer first and then remove the back panel which is INSIDE the freezer? If this is correct I will proceed to turn off the freezer now as it may take a while to defrost anyway.
thats correct. not that bad really, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I get back after I have done all this in case it does not work? I have just ordered that part.
sure just post back and i will get it, thanks Bryan