Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I live on an island in Alaska where there is no appliance service

I live on an island in Alaska where there is no appliance service available. My new Frigidaire GLTF2940FS2 takes water and then the drum starts to rotate normally. However, after about 2 -3 minutes the drum stops rotating, the pause light comes on, and the light above start begins to blink. After another couple of minutes the machine turns off. Since I will have to fix this machine myself, I need a diagnosis of the cause and the parts required to fix the machine. Can you provide this level of technical assistance? Also, a link to a service manual, if available online, would be very helpful. Time is important since I need to order the parts ASAP.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

first see if you can get the code the washer is displaying,

? Good models do not have a digital readout display

In the Better Models line, the failure codes will appear in the display as an E followed by two numbers, a number and a letter or two letters. The control will beep and the Door Lock, Wash, Rinse, Final Spin and Control indicator lights will flash.

Example: E14. To stop the flashing and beeping, the customer may touch the Pause Cancel button. The error code remains stored in the control but once the problem is corrected, it does not effect the operation of the washer. If the failure is something that the customer can correct (such as the water faucets being turned off), the washer will operate normally the next time it is started.

In the Good Models line, the control signals the failure code by flashing the five indicator lights of Door Lock, Wash, Rinse, Final Spin and Control for the first number or letter after the E and the Start indicator light for the second number or letter after the E. When a failure occurs, the washer stops or pauses and the control beeps and flashes the five indicator lights to tell the customer that a failure has occurred. To stop the flashing and beeping, the customer may touch the Pause Cancel button. The error code remains stored in the control but once the problem is corrected, it does not effect the operation of the washer. If the failure is something that the customer can correct (such as the water faucets being turned off), the washer will operate normally the next time it is started.

To recall an error code:

? Wake the machine by pressing any button

? Wait 5 seconds

? Press and hold the Start and Pause Cancel buttons simultaneously

? All LEDs will go blank and after a few seconds the control will signal the stored code using audible beeps and blinking LEDs. The control will repeatedly signal the code, as long as the Start and Pause Cancel buttons are pressed. A two-second pause between repeats affords you the ability to make accurate counts to identify the correct error codes.

Please Note the following...... on a small number of washers with serial number prefix XC4, if the previous procedure does not perform as specified, follow the option below: ? Follow all previous steps but instead of pressing Start and Pause Cancel buttons, press and hold Options and Pause Cancel buttons.

If the washer is a Better Model, the error code will appear in the display. Troubleshoot problem.

If the washer is a Good Model, the five indicator lights of Door Lock, Wash, Rinse, Final Spin and Control will flash the number of times for the first digit of the code and the Start indicator light will flash the number of times for the second digit. Take separate counts of each indicator light, then repeat to confirm in order to be accurate in identifying the proper error code.

The code is obtained by counting the number of times the lights flash. Example E24: The five indicator lights would flash twice indicating the 2 and the START indicator light will flash four times indicating the 4. The five indicator lights and the START indicator light start flashing at the same time.

The control will pause for 2 seconds, then repeat the code as long as the two buttons are pressed and held.

Note: A letter appearing in the code stands for a number higher than nine:

A = 10 B = 11 C = 12 D = 13 E = 14 F = 15

Example Code F1: the first digit would be 15 and the second digit would be 1. If this code would appear on a washer in the Good model line, the five indicator lights would blink fifteen times and the START indicator light would blink once.

your machine doesn't have a digital readout for a code the # XXXXX blinks tells you the code, I believe there is a service tech sheet either behind the bottom panel or under the top on yours, see if you can find it. if not count the lights as they blink and tell me how many times it blinks, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The error code reads E 11
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok this means the fill time is to long, try taking your hoses off and cleaning the screens in the hoses and the valve, if it still doesn't fill fast enough then you need to replace the fill valve, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GLTF2940FS2-%3d%3dei1154728&PartID=1154728 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I removed the hose filter and reconnected to the hose. My water pressure is quite high- greater than 50 lb/in2 and it is possible to see the water entering the drum at a high rate. However, this step did not solve the problem and I got the same error code, E 11. Is it possible that this problem could also be generated by a defective electronic control panel?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well I hate to tell you to replace that its expensive. according to the code its the water taking to long to fill so it trips the board and shuts down. the control board could be faulty though theres no test for that its a shot in the dark. the control panel. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=is $138.00 if you want to try it. http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GLTF2940FS2-%3d%3di1472564&PartID=1472564
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your advice. I will accept your answer. One other thing occurred to me that I did not mention before. I have no hot water here so I capped off the hot water inlet to the washer and run it on "cold - cold" cycle with only the cold water connected. Could that have anything to do with the problem? Also do you have a link to a service manual or exploded view of the Frigidaire GLTF 2940 FS2 washer that will help me with the mechanics of part substitution?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well the hot water could have something to do with it but if it ran before like that I doubt its causing your problem, click this blue link for all the diagrams. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=GLTF2940FS2&pathTaken=partSearch well wishes and thanks, Bryan