Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Maytag Legacy Series top loader wont drain when spinni

Customer Question

My Maytag Legacy Series top loader won't drain when spinning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you get us the model # XXXXX we can better assist you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SAV205DAWW
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
take the screws out marked # XXXXX on this diagram and pull the bottom panel out at the bottom and off, thats how you get to the pump and hoses. the pump will be right in the front middle when you get the bottom off thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Everything else is working on the machine, the water simply won't exit when spinning. What is your expert opinion on what the problem is?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes its a clog somewhere because the pump is connected directly to the motor on this so its definitely turning, its either a clog or the pump itself is stripped inside, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bryan,

I cannot tell what side of the machine your schematic is showing me, therefore I don't know which screws to remove....

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the front, the bottom diagram is the front of the machine, there are two screws on the bottom about 4" in from the sides remove them. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yeah, duh - I just took it off. Do I simply unclamp the hoses to see if anything is in there? I am going to try to get the water out first...
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I would get the water out as much as possible and then tip the machine back and let it lean against the wall, prop it back then remove the hoses, before doing all that check and make sure the rubber hose in the back that goes to the drain isn't kinked anywhere.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help Bryan. I took all of the hoses off and didn't find anything obstructing. When you say the pump itself is stripped inside, what does that mean and what should the repair cost? This machine is 6 years old, is it worth repairing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
did you run this and watch the pump ? was it spinning ? the cost to replace the pump will run you around $43.00 plus $75.00-$100.00 labor, what I meant by stripped is its impeller inside is stripped out, hope this has been helpful, thanks Bryan