The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have a Kenmore Water Heater model # 153.336465 serial # M04A06709

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Water Heater model #NNN-NN-NNNNserial # XXXXX and for some reason from about now up until around mid Sept the flame will that heats the water goes out all the time. This weird, what could be the reason?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JA.

I found this on the Sears Tech Help web site.

"You could have a clogged air intake screen or flame arrester that would cause a frequent pilot outage. High ambient temperature (above 115 degrees) could also cause this problem. An insufficient combustion and/or ventilation air supply could also be an issue that would need to be checked. An improper vent system design or improper vent operation could cause a frequent pilot outage as well."

Most likely your problem will be related to the vent system that has been installed. If not done properly then during the right atmospheric conditions a vacuum, or draft can be caused that blows out the pilot light.

The best suggestion I can make would be for you to have the unit looked at by a professional. They will be able to look at the venting and tell you if that is the problem.

Unfortunatly this is a problem that will require hands on by a pro. I cant teach you what you will need to know to determine if this is indeed the problem.

Best, THS