S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

My GE stove self-cleaning oven will not go off. Was supposed

Customer Question

My GE stove self-cleaning oven will not go off. Was supposed to clean for two hours and it has now be four.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 6 years ago.
hello. i can assist you with finding your problem bu first i need the rest of the model number. please locate the model number tag of the unit and get the number directly from the tag. this is usually located on the frame with the drawer open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are no numbers on the frame where the bottom drawer is. This stove is 25 years old, and this is the only number I have. It could be on the back, but I cannot pull it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What's taking so long?
ok well i just looked at every of that model number and the timer control is no longer available. in order to stop the cleaning cycle you can simply turn the thermostat to the off position and then you will have to wait a min of two hours for the oven to cool down. the door will not unlock until the unit has cooled down. the light does go off when you turn the thermostat to the off position correct?
i have to look up the information. this takes time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by the thermostat, but I can't turn either knob off, or I would have already done that. Neither the Oven Set knob nor the Oven Temp knob will budge.The over is still hot, so I am going to throw the breaker before I burn the house down.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did you get my message?
the temp knob is the thermostat. you should be able to turn both knobs at any time. if you can not turn these knobs then you will need to replace both of them. as you can see this would not make sense to do on an oven this old as the cost is almost $350.00

Enlarge Photo
Oven switch
Part Number: AP2023788 made by GE
$95.87

Enlarge Photo
Thermostat
Part Number: AP2634155 made by GE
$239.27
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry to dispute your word, but I never could turn either knob when it is in self-cleaning mode, which is where it still is. Neither can I open the door. It is STUCK in self-cleaning mode. That is the problem. Do you understand?
yes i understand. this does not stop you from turning the knobs. i am a professional. you can talk to someone else in that manor as i will opt out. good luck!!! do not reply back to this message.