Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Im about to purchase a used kenmore Elite Side by Side Refrigerator,

Customer Question

I'm about to purchase a used kenmore Elite Side by Side Refrigerator, Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN700. Its making a beeping noise which the local Techs haven't benn able to diagnose. The current owner told me that its the signal to replace the water filter and that the beeper can be disconnected. I looked it up in the owner's manual and found that there is a light indicator that lights-up when the filter needs to be replaced, but said nothing about a beeping alarm feature for the filter? Water has never been connected to the fridge and it's about 1 year old....could this have anything to do with the beeping?
Thanks for your help!
Carlos
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
its probably a faulty control panel . usually these will beep if the refrigerator isn't colling correctly, this could also be a warning that the door isn't closed completely or the door switch thinks it isn't, is this service tech from Sears?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it was a Sears tech.....but we live in Hawaii and we happen to still be in the stone-age over here! How much does a new control panel run? The owners are selling the thing for cheap, and it is a top of the line refrigerator....do you think its worth the risk? If I disconnect the beeper alarm, will it affect the function of the frige?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure if disconnecting the alarm will hurt it but it has an alarm so if something goes wrong with the refrigerator it will warn you, as far as the control board it depends on which board this takes , its a risk but the parts runs around $82.00 if its the control board I think it is. not to bad, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry but thats about all we can tell you, you had a tech look at it and they couldn't figure it out I don't know what you expect from us, you asked if its worth taking a chance on and i answered you honestly but you seem like you want us to tell you that it will be fine but we don't know that, I told you possible causes and the risks of buying it, whether its worth buying depends on what is wrong with it, you gave very little info on what the tech said so we cant be sure.sorry, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
one last thing, have you tried holding the water filter reset button down for 5 seconds? this is suppose to reset the filter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Would like to get another opinion..
Would like to get another opinion.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , no problem, good luck, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: second opinion....someone that may have run into this problem with this particular Kenmore model..
second opinion....someone that may have run into this problem with this particular Kenmore model.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
get another opinion from another tech.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for being a pain in the ass....it was the control- board for the water/ice dispenser. I ordered the part from Sears and the Fridge works fine now.

Mahalo XXXXX XXXXX assistance!

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

thats great , well wishes and thanks, Bryan