Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my icemaker in our kenmore ref/freezer has drastically slowed

my icemaker in our kenmore ref/freezer has drastically slowed down producing ice. i changed the water filter and cleaned the coils underneath. Also turned the freezer up to almost high. This site has helped me before, please help again. Thanks, Mike
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok usually this is a sign that the freezer isn't cold enough, is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer at all? is the fan running in the freezer? and the fan beside the compressor in the back?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the fan is running right now and there is no sign of frost in the freezer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok do you know the temp in the freezer? it should be between 0-8 degrees
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll check it now and get back to you soon as I find a thermometer that goes to 0
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my thermometer says it was zero or below. i got the thermometer from our greenhouse so I'm not sure of the accuracy. The food in the freezer seems to be frozen but i do see an icecycle which forms on the door side of the icemaker.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WHATS UP?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if its that cold the freezer is ok, sounds like you have a frozen feed line to the ice maker inside the freezer, the plastic tube that goes into the ice maker, I suggest pulling the ice maker out and take a hair dryer and defrost it, the water is not going into the ice maker all the time, try that and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok, there is water / ice in the tray that hasn't dropped down yet. do you want me to physically take the ice maker out of the freezer to access the tube? if thats what you want me to do I guess it can't be to difficult to remove it Please let me know' thanks, Mike

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well Mike it sounds like the tube may be frozen,if there an ice cycle hanging down. there is a black tube that comes down from the ceiling of the freezer that feeds the ice maker can you squeeze that with your fingers and see if its frozen? also when you say there is ice in the ice maker that hasn't dropped how long has it been in there? when the last time it dropped?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a white / clear tube in the back that feeds the tray. that tube is clear. the ice has been in the tray since i went to bed last night ( at least 10 hours). We experienced a power outage over a week ago that lasted over 24 hours. could that have an impact on this problem. Everything worked fine untill then. Mike
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok sorry, I looked at the wrong diagram, lets do a test, pull the white front cover off the ice maker and you will see this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=about the five o' clock position you will see holes marked T&H you need to get a piece of wire about 3" long and strip it back on both ends about 3/4" and stick it in the hole marked T&H this will start the ice maker cycling, once you hear a faint click remove the wire and watch the ice maker cycle, when you pull the cover check the center of the gear and make sure one of the white tabs isn't broken or loose, sometimes these break. let me know if the ice maker cycles, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry I took so long, I had to go out for a bit. I did as you said and watched it cycle. The ice fell out and I watched water go in.. I'll watch it for a while and let you know. How long should it take approximately to dump again? If this is all it took to fix the problem, what do you think happened?Thanks, Mike
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it should cycle about every 2 hours, if it doesn't than you may need to replace the module, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good morning, The ice maker has not dumped since yesterday when I used the piece of wire. The ice is in ther tray but it doesn't cycle. What do you suggest? thanks, Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good evening, The ice maker has not dumped since yesterday when I used the piece of wire. The ice is in ther tray but now it is half way dumped ,it doesn't cycle. What do you suggest?Do i replace the moduls? thanks, Mike Edit
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Sorry Mike I was called out of town and just got back, replacing the module may work on this but its hard to say, sometimes the ice maker itself will jam and replacing the module may not work, I would suggest replacing the ice maker itself in your case, the module is around $70.00 and the entire ice maker is $76.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-W10190965-%3d%3d&txt=1 hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the icemaker is operating as good as ever. I reset it again with the wire and once it cycled I raised the arm up overnight. The next morning I lowered the arm and it has been making ice ever since. Thanks, Mike

I see the payment in my on line account. I don't remember authorizing payment but it worked out. Thanks again, Mike boyle

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats good news it must have been stuck, hope I helped thanks Bryan