John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Kenmore Washing machine stopped working. It fills with water

Customer Question

My Kenmore Washing machine stopped working. It fills with water but then it doesn't agitate the clothes or spin. The agitator is stuck and doesn't spin. Doe you know what it is and how i can fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Doe the motor start up ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You could hear the motor humming and on the spin cycle you could hear it working but the inside isn't spinning and the agitator doesn't spin and it now locked
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

What do you mean by locked. whats not working.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the agitator you know you can spin by hand right? not now the agitator is stuck and doesn't move, you can't turn it by hand at all
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
No you cant turn it by hand.the tub you can but not the agitator.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok here is the whole problem, when you have a working washer, you can reach in and spin the agitator by hand.. (when it is empty).. the agitator doesn't spin by hand and doesn't spin at all. It seems like it is locked or jammed. There are no clothes stuck underneath. The motor humms when you turn it on. It fills with water then hits the water level and then nothing, just humming. Also it doesn't spin on spin cycle. I tipped the machine back and looked for a belt on the floor but saw notthing, it smells like burnt rubber though underneath.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Well no you cant turn the agitator by hand, you can turn the tub by hand, tip the washer back and put it in the spin cycle tell me if the motor is going or its just humming.doe it pump the water out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it pumps the water out gimme a minute to go try that
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
If it pumps the water out replace the motor coupler.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok hers what happened, my wife and I tipped it up and turned it on on the spin cycle. The motor was turning along with a small black belt was also spinning. It sounded and felt like the whole tub was spinning but when you open the top (it shuts off) nothing was spinning inside.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Right thats the way its suppose to work, but you can see the coupler turning but its not grabbing the transmission shaft, follow the video I will send you and replace the coupler, you will see that its is broken when you take the motor off..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

a video , a diagram , a step by step, anything is appreciated, please send it to my email adress so i can watch it with my wife a few times to get it right. Thank you

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPGs2UMUJc&feature=related

Its an easy repair to do and you will learn about the washer and you will have to doit again , they do break.