Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Maytag dependable Care Plus/Heavy Duty Dryer is making a

My Maytag dependable Care Plus/Heavy Duty Dryer is making a sharp ticking sound when the drum turns. I have removed the lower right side panel on the back and ascertained the plastic wheel which provides tension to the belt appear to be working without problems and the sharp ticking appears to be from the drive unit turned by the electric motor . I have tried to re-tension the idleing or passive wheel to see if ythe noise would abate without success.

Can you suggest any other trouble shooting task, before I call a tech. repair person?, is there any specific parts a tec h repair person ought to bring to address this problem and fix same on a one visit basis?, Is a nw motor required?

thank you. Peter
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
disconnect the belt and run it to see if the motor makes the noise without being attached to the belt. If so then you have a bad motor or the blower wheel attached to the motor is stripped or has something caught in it thats it's running on.

If the motor makes no noise with the belt disconnected, then either your pullies or one of your drum might be rubbing on something and you'd just need to figure out by diassembling the unit to see what might be causing it.