How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inactive Your Own Question
Inactive, Licensed Master Electrician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 4772
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Inactive is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We recently purchased a new clothes dryer. When we use it there

Customer Question

We recently purchased a new clothes dryer. When we use it there is a smell that comes from the breaker box and the wire that connects to the box gets warm. The dryer plug and outlet don't seem to get warm. The outlet is connected to the box with 10 gauge aluminum wire and an cu/au breaker which is new. Does it get warm and smell because of the aluminum wire? Would changing to copper wire solve the overheating problem?

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Yes I highly recommend changing over to copper wire. Most likely your having heating problems because of the connection to the breaker.

So before changing the wiring, get penatrox, remove the wires from the breaker, put the goop on the terminals and re-install the wires. Then make sure they are nice and tight. You will need to do this for all your wires that are aluminum. Then try it. It should not heat up any more, but if it does then change to copper.

Related Appliance Questions