Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a 2002 Maytag dryer that is staying in high heat from

I have a 2002 Maytag dryer that is staying in high heat from start of cycle. It has gotten the dryer hot to the touch. Also just yesterday the dry quit altgether. I need to no if both problems are related and what could be the problem.
remove the vent hose off the back of the dryer and run it, if it doesn't overheat and the cabinet does not still get real hot then clean the duct from the dryer to the outside of the house ,, if it still does then replace the hi-temp thermostat inside the dryer on the heater housing / thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have checkedthe duct already. Why would the dryer just quit now and not turn?
does it not start up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was running really hot for about a week. Now it will not start up. Could the heat have effected maybe the door switch or some other safety?
try this ,,, open the door and hold in on the door switch and the start button and turn the tub be hand and tell me what happens please
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Right now I am not near the dryer. I do no the drum turns by hand and the belt is attached.
when you try to start it do you hear a hum
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No nothing
here is what i think ,,,, you have a bad motor and while it was going out it was keeping the switch open that controls the heating element and that is why it was getting so hot and even making the cabinet hot to the touch and then it went completely out and thats why it isn't making a sound and will not start