Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Hi I have a 10 month old GE PGB918SS Stainless Steel Gas

Hi: I have a 10 month old GE PGB918SS Stainless Steel Gas Range. It has delayed ignition -- I learned this from my gas company but they don't repair ranges. When I turn the oven on, about a minute later, it pops so loudly that you jump out of your skin! They told me I need a new burner tube. Is this something I can buy and install myself? Thanks! Lucille
Hi Lucille, It's a good thing you came to us. The gas company don't repair ranges for a reason, they don't know how to. Your problem is the igniter, even though it may be glowing it's old and is not igniting the gas strait away. This is why you are hearing the whooomp when it lights. This is a fairly easy job to change. Take the floor out of the inside of the oven. Then remove the flame spreader, under there you will see the igniter at the back of the burn tube. It is then apparent how to replace it, make sure to turn the power off before replacing the igniter :) If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Mike