Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool Front Load Washer GHW9400PW0. My problem

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Front Load Washer GHW9400PW0.

My problem is that the door lock will not engage, so I keep receiving the DL error code and the washer will not start.

I have turned off power to washer several times, even taken out and reconnected the door latch system.

Any ideas what I can try to fix this problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
if you get an F DL then unfortuantely that just means the door latch assembly needs to be replaced. There isn't much you can do to get the old one working. Here is a link to the part you will need to order and replace.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've already replaced the door latch recently after a similar but opposite problem. The washer would start, but then fail mid wash leaving the door locked (same DL code) and no way to open. I would take off the bottom cover and reach up and manually pull the latch open and then try agin.

This is why I doubt that it is a door latch problem, but rather something with another part of the electronics.

Is your only solution to replace the door latch again?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
well you are correct, the main CCU or "central control unit" could cause this issue as well but there is no way to test because there is a ptc sensor in the door latch but there is no reason to assume it's bad unless you have circumstances like you are having. The control board is about $200 and the latch is about 1/4th of that so I would replace the latch first.