John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

my fridge is only cooling to about 50 degrees but the freezer

Customer Question

my fridge is only cooling to about 50 degrees but the freezer is working perfectly. What might the problem be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

What setting is the fridge set at.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was at 6 but I turned it up to 7 about ten minutes ago

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
What is the temp of the freezer and can you feel frost on the freezer panel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The freezer is set at 5 and there is no frost on anything in there.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Send me the model number please, and pull out the fridge and check the coils at the back by the compressor and tell me if their dusty and if the fan motor is going.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the model no. is ESH22XGPB CC

I'll try and pull it out but I'm a 69 yr old handicapped senior so I might have to call someone to help me. if that's the case how will it affect your helping me? can we postpone it for a few hours?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

# XXXXX is the coil to check to see if its dusty, but before you do that tell me the freezer temp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok just a minute I have to put the thermometer in the freezer side

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

thats ok no hurry , if the freezer temp is 0 deg or colder then set the fridge setting to number one and give it a few hrs and let me know if the fridge temp went down

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok the freezer went down to 5 degrees in 5 minutes I will set the fridge temp down and let you know later. thanks
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok give it a few hrs to cycle and see if the fridge temp goes down.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put the refridgerator back to 1 like you said and its now been several hours and its only dropped to 48 degrees. Tomorrow I have a tall granddaughter coming over who might be able to help me pull it out and see if the fan motor is running. Are there two fans? I can hear the one going for the freezer. We will also check to see if there is dust and if so clean it.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Theres is the two fans, one in the freezer and one by the coils she will clean, hope this will fix the problem , get back to me if the coils are clean.

Thanks and God Bless.