Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I own a Whrilpool LA7800XTWI washing machine... for the past

I own a Whrilpool LA7800XTWI washing machine... for the past couple days it smelled like something was burning... but I had not called the repairman yet.... today I had a load of clothes in the washer and the washing machine stopped mid cycle w/a load of clothes and water inside. I tried to use other cycles... turn the machine off and on... nothing seems to work at all... the machine is getting power. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi so is the machine completely dead now? when you put it in a cycle it does nothing no sounds?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
correct... no sounds... no movement.... no spin, no part of any cycle.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Ok well because you smelled burning I would have to say a winding on the motor burned out. The only thing you can really do is access the motor and timer to see which one caused the burning smell. Stick your nose up close and sniff to see if the component smells of burning (there should be a residue smell) if you can smell burning on the motor or timer replace it. If the motor went bad make sure to check the pump for a sock or something blocking it. Typically when the motor burns out it's because something got stuck in the pump.

The other way to figure out what is wrong is to test the timer And motor with a volt meter for power. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate your repsonse.... what kind of cost is involved w/a motor for this model of machine... Whirlpool LA7800... thanks Dan
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dan, A new motor would run around $130 then if you were to hire someone to make sure and then replace the motor you should expect to add about $150 to that depending on region. Mike