Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

our LG refrigerator, model # LFC25760SB (side by side with

our LG refrigerator, model # XXXXX (side by side with freezer on bottom) has read temp error " Er, dH " since last week. It lost cooling in the refrigerator portion for one day, but seems to be working now. We have unplugged it and replugged it and were then able to reprogram the temps, but now it reads the temp error up above.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Er DH means that your unit isn't defrosting because your defrost heater is bad. Er dH = Error Defrost Heater. You'll need to remove everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel. There will be frost build up and you will need to use a hair dryer to defrost all the frost. Once all the frost is thawed, the air can circulate and the refrigerator can get air from the freezer to cool again. You will need to replace your defrost heater so that the problem doesn't come back in 2 weeks or so.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how easy is it for us to replace the defrost heater (and where to get the part) or if we were to hire someone to repair it, what would be a reasonable cost? thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
it's not all that easy but if you're handy it can be done. Once you remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost the frost, the heater is located at the bottom of the silver coils behind this panel. As for cost to hire someone, I imagine it would cost about $150-175.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more question.....

the refrigerator is four years old - is this normal wear and tear? There have been a few times we've left the door slightly ajar overnight and I noticed this caused condensation to build up inside both the refrigerator and freezer portions.

This has been very helpful and this is our last question...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I wouldn't call it normal wear and tear, but I would say that it has nothing to do with anything you've done. It's just electronics and that can cause the issue. If the door was left open it will definitely give you this error so if you think you may have done this, then defrost it and see how it goes.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.