Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

HI I have a Bosch Exxcel 1400 Express washing machine which

HI I have a Bosch Exxcel 1400 Express washing machine which has stopped rinsing properly-soapy froth left on door and seal, smell of detergent and hand rinse produces a soapy solution. 3 "rinse and freshen up" progs then rinses them fully. The machine and soap tray are clean. We only use half the recommended detergent and it is the same with liquid or powder.Cotton and Linen progs only seem affected.
Engineers have replaced control board and pressure switch and also found no blockages. The machine is ok on the test cycle, fills and pumps out apparently ok and repeatably, I have checked that it pumps out to a residual cupfull.
The problem persists. So, I have monitored the machine and seen that there is liitle water in the drum throughout the Cotton prog. cf Extra Care , as follows:
Cotton:wash and all rinses 5-7 litres each
Rinse and Freshen:18 litres
Extra care Prog wash:5-7 litres, rinse:13 ls.
Please help with fault diagnosis and comment on vols of water. Thanks
John of Preston
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Hiya,

Even though the switch looks good this does not mean it is not the problem.

HI, the water level switch(aka pressure switch), is responsible for regulating the water fill level in this situation. It does this through a plastic tube which runs from the switch in the control console down to the side of the outer tub, near the bottom . The tube is filled with air. As water enters the tub it also enters the tube. As water climbs inside the tube, it pushes on the air trapped inside and increases the air pressure. When the air pressure reaches a certain level, it triggers the switch.

I would advise to Inspect the air tube for kinks, breaks or damage. The tube should also be free of water. The tubing should be securely connected to the bottom of the outer tub and to the bottom of the water level switch. If there is water present, the switch must be replaced.

The water level switch has three connectors. Label and disconnect the wires from the switch. Test the switch for continuity using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the ohms setting X1. It will be necessary to test each of the three possible pairs. replace the switch if it fails the continuity test.

NOTE_ The switch location will be in close proximity of the water inlet valve, or near the control panel.
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so far! Multi meter maybe beyond me but I will check for kinks etc. I take it that you think from my view of the filling vols, that it is not filling sufficiently on the Cotton progs. Is that so - for rinsing and/or washing? Do the Extra Care vols look correct? If I know this, then I can tackle the Engineers again. Thanks John

Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
This is starting to sound like it is out of the realm of the home handy person.
I think it is more complicated, an you will need a hands on tech on location.