John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Kenmore 70 series. Fills with water and stops there. No electrical

Customer Question

Kenmore 70 series. Fills with water and stops there. No electrical noises can be heard (humming). It just stops after filling and wont do anything else. Selecting "rinse" or "spin" or any other cycle still does nothing. Won't drain either. it simply just stops after filling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Open and close the lid, can you hear a switch click.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
try resetting the water level switch , does water start to enter the washer, please send me the model number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
water enters the washer when level switch is held in reset. Model number 110.24732300
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a volt meter to check the water level switch from contacts v to p on the water level switch with the tub full of water,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. How do I access the contacts?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The end caps pop off to reveal a screw under the end caps remove that screw and lift the console up disconnect the wiring and check those contacts also you can O H M out the lid switch as well from the disconnect in the console, try that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll get back to ya. thanks.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok we can talk later after you check those two parts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a brown, pink and purple harness that connects to the fill switch. I don't see any labeling or pin designations.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Heres the wiring diagram , there should be markings on the water level switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got a flash light and a magnifying glass and I can't see anything on the level switch. I filled the tub and disconnected the harness. Voltage on the harness , purple to pink wire is 120v. From the purple to brown wire 75v. Does that help at all?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-11024732300-%3d%3di2697&PartID=2697

The switch should give you a reading accross purple and pink if no reading replace the water level switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got 120v across purple and pink. What next?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Not the voltage I want you to O H M it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got it. 1.6 x 10K ohm. When I switched the meter to "continuity" the tub starting filling again.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Thats the water fill section check v to t for the motor start up contact
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well you've sorta lost me a little. which/where is the motor start up contact? Am I concluding that the fill switch is good based on the ohm reading?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The water contacts are good its the other contact I need to know if you get a reading , from v to t
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry but I'm not an electrician. When you say "other contact" what are you refering to; the timer? Can you tell me where the contacts you are referring to are physically located.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Theres three contacts on the water level switch, when the tub is empty the contacts v to p should be closed with the tub empty, the contact v to t should be closed with a full tub of water so those contacts v to t is the one I want to know about.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well here's another new developement. When I plugged the machine back in the water started filling and I cant stop it. I removed the connector and checked the contacts and there is resistance between the 1st and 3rd pin (tub full) and none between the 1st and second pin.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I would replace the water level switch if thats what is happening.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds reasonable. What does the vaccuum hose on the switch do? What does it connect to on the other end?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Did you have that hose off the switch when checking the switch
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no. hose was on
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Did you also O H M out the lid switch on that washer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did not. I see a couple of screws. If I remove those can I get to the switch?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
With the console up disconnect the lid switch harness from the top nd check the ohms with the lid closed you should get a reading.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
top "nd" ? when you say "console" do you mean the control panel or the entire top portion of the washer?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You have the console up already checking the water level switch, so look at the wire connections that lead to the lid switch, their connected on the top theres three wires with a nylon plug in disconnect that harness and O H M out the switch with the lid closed if you don't get a reading from the lid switch the switch can be the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, I believe I've located it. There is a white, green/yellow, and gray wire. There is resistance between the white and green/yellow and none between the white and gray and none between the green/yellow gray.

The readings are the same whether the lid is opened or closed and I can hear the switch open and close as the lid is opened and closed.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
you don't get the reading between the white and gray the problem is the lid switch, thats what I thought the problem was, replace the lid switch. It took awhile but you found the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Thanks for your help and expertise. I've accepted your answer. Do you happen to have quick access to the part number for the switch? Thanks again and take care.