John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

profile ge fridge not cooling freezer or ref compressor

profile ge fridge not cooling freezer or ref compressor not coming on 5 1/2 years old could it be motherboard run capacitor relay or overload

Thanks for the question.

Does the motherboard click at all.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I havent tested anything yet I heard the motherboard is a common problem but I dont even know where it is and are you asking me to expose it and then listen.. I am smart enough to do what you say or tell me to test I just never had to work on a fridge before

The motherboard is # XXXXX , unplug the fridge and take a look at the board if you see a burn mark replace the board, and if its clicking replace the board.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the board located and if the board seems ok is ther a way to check the run capacitor or the relay or the overload all of which are located by the compressor
The board is behind a small panel at the back above the compressor, you need a volt meter to check the voltage at the board and at the compressor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hopefully last time I have a meter and know how to use it but do you know the voltages I should be getting at the board and compressor and I assume they would be ac voltage
You should get 120 volts at the board, you can usually see the burnt relay on the board.