Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

We lost power at some point today while nobody was home and

Customer Question

We lost power at some point today while nobody was home and now our Jenn-Air refrigerator will not come on. Any idea what we can do at 9:00 pm??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. What is your model number please? Do you hear any of the fans running? Dave
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no fans are running. It's model number JS48SEDBDA.
Ok, a built-in 48". Are the lights on inside? If so, turn the power off for 2 minutes and then back on. If the control got locked due to interference this may restore operation. Dave
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The lights are not on. I turned off the power switch anyway... but it's only been about a minute so far.
Have you confirmed that you have power at the outlet by plugging in a light etc.? Dave
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still no lights or fans after waiting 2 mins with power off. I don't think we can access the outlet because it's behind the built in unit.
Ok, the only way to be sure the breaker or fuse has not tripped will be to test with a meter or go check all the breakers. Keep in mind it may not be tripped all the way. Put light pressure on all the breaker taps and if one is "almost" tripped it will flip so you can reset it. If this is not the problem you will need a meter to test the low voltage power supply up top. There is a 12 and a 26 vdc output. Dave
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do the power supplies that I'm supposed to test have connectors at the ends? Just trying to figure out what to test with the multimeter.

On the main control there is a connector marked JP-11. Black with a green strip is ground. From it to Black-Red there should be 26vdc. From the Black-Green to Black-White there should be 12vdc. Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see anything JP-11, and I don't have any of those wire color combinations. There are connections labelled PM-76 and another that might be FM-153/RM-59. But in any case, I haven't tried every combination yet - but I'm not reading any vdc across any of the connections.
The main control has 10 connectors, some with more than 15 wires attached. The JP-11 only has 3 wires. The main control is behind the touch pad and has a ribbon that attaches to the control. The Red and the White wires that supply the control and the power supply are the 120vac supply. Use them to be sure power is supplied. Dave
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Just got back to this. I see JP-11. I see voltage there.
Ok, if you have the dc voltages but have no display you need to replace the control. It likely was a power surge that took it out. Dave