John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have an GDS18LBR (or SBR). It keeps freezing up in the space

I have an GDS18LBR (or SBR). It keeps freezing up in the space between the upper fridge and lower freezer. Ice builds up, blocks the drain, and eventually stops the fan from spinning.

Thanks for the question,

Theres a drain tube that comes out the back of the fridge and ends up in the drain pan under the fridge, that hose is blocked up, remove the hose and clear the drain.If this happening all the time and you keep thawing and clearing, the part you have to replace is the styro foam under the freezer coils, it gets saturated and freezes up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It happens most when the humidity is high, of course. We have used the hair dryer perhaps 10 times in the last 6 months. I will run something flexible up the hose to make sure it's clear.

Could it be the defrost heater or timer gone bad?
Does the complete evaporator frost up or just by the fan motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From the drainage point up past the fan and into the coils. At that point the ice is high enough to stop the fan from spinning, so it gets warm in the fridge. Never seen it higher than that---maybe one or two inches into the coils.

You need to replace # XXXXX thats the part that gets saturated and freezes up it will keep doing that if its not replaced.